With the commercial cannabis enterprises start to implement better technology in the cultivation, the use of LED grow lights for plants has caused a long and fierce debate in the cannabis cultivation industry. The answer to LED grow lights for plants and HPS grow lights questions will vary from grower, grower and culture medium.
When the LED grow light was first put on the market, its cost was five to ten times that of its fluorescent and HID alternatives. Luckily, LED technology is developing at a speed of lightning.
Now, LED lights for plants is considered by many to be the best way to successfully shine and yield stable output in the US dollar to us dollar. Nevertheless, HPS lighting has been used in the marijuana industry for decades, is a staple food in most commercial marijuana greenhouses, and is growing for a variety of reasons.
Do you want to use HPS grow lights for plants or LED grow lights for plants ? Over the years, there have been many misunderstandings about which option is better. You’ll find supporters on both sides of the spectrum. The reality is that technology has changed dramatically. Even in the past five years, grow lights for plants has come a long way. So the truth of the past may not be the case today.
Both HPS and LED have their advantages and disadvantages. If you want to know which option is best for you, please read on.
HPS Grow Lights for Plants
HPS, or high pressure sodium lights are able to producing a massive amount of light. In truth, quite a few farmers desired HPS lighting for years because of this. Light is important throughout the flowering stage and has been recognized to increase yield at harvest. The high intensity of HPS grow lights can create a really perfect surroundings for flowering cannabis. HPS grow lights also are relatively reasonably-priced to installation.
However, on the other hand, the high intensity output of high pressure sodium lamp will produce a lot of heat. In many cases, the use of HPS requires additional ventilation to provide adequate airflow. This will greatly increase the cost. In addition, high intensity light consumes a lot of energy, which increases the cost and causes more environmental damage.
Advantages of HPS Grow Lights for Plants
- HPS are capable of generating an intense quantity of light, that may increase cannabis flowering.
- There are many kinds of HPS grow lights for plants available, so options have become greater standardized.
- The preliminary set-up prices are decrease with HPS grow lights than LED lights.
- HPS lamps are easier to use when growing proportionally
- HPS lamps can effectively produce “photosynthetic effective radiation” (PAR), which is only the amount of light available to cannabis plants
Although the upfront cost of LED lighting is still higher than that of HPS grow lights, the long-term operation cost of LED grow light is lower due to the reduction of power consumption and the elimination of traditional maintenance.
Although the cost is low, the HPS grow light will lose brightness significantly as time goes by, and more power and maintenance are needed. In addition, LED grow lights for plants will not lose strength as time goes by and keep their brightness until the end of 50000 to 100000 hours of service life. However, led still can’t compete with the powerful function of HPS lamp.
Disadvantages of HPS Grow Lights for Plants
- Compared with LED lights, HPS require more power and lower energy efficiency.
- Compared with the LED lamp, the HPS has a shorter shelf life.
- The high light illumination of HPS is very important to make enough air circulation and ventilation.
- Setting the optimum temperature can be a challenge, especially in confined spaces.
- In the long run, the HPS lamps will greatly increase the cost.
LED Grow Lights for Plants
Over the years, LED grow lights for plants are becoming more and more popular. Technological advances have changed the game of plant growth. In the past, HPS lights were basically the only option. But today, you’ll find LED lights in some of the largest commercial marijuana plantations.
Compared with HPS lamp, grow lights for plants is very energy-saving. The high quality LED grow lights for plants can use less energy to produce the same yield as the HPS grow lights for plants. Therefore, many marijuana growers believe that led light is a more environmentally friendly choice for indoor cultivation. They also happen to be cost-effective. Although LED have higher pre cost than HPS lamps, they can save cost for a long time. LED lights have a longer life, which means you won’t be spending money on changing products.
Why Cannabis Growers Choose LED lights In Their Cannabis Greenhouses?
With the minimum power consumption and long life, led grow lights for plants has rapidly become the most efficient lighting method for modern cultivation. The LED grow lights for plants have combined with some of the most advanced business growth practices today, combined with thermal management engineering technology, precise spectral output and advanced optical devices, which can convert nearly 100% of the power consumption to the target light energy for your growth.
Led can produce high production and consume a small amount of energy used by their HPS peers because of the technology that enables growers to control every nuance of their lighting. In addition to the minimum maintenance required, growers usually use only one LED light system at each stage of growth. This is because most LEDs have been optimized for the entire growth cycle. Some led planting lights also allow growers to adjust emission spectra for different stages of growth.
Advantages of LED Grow Lights for Plants
- LED are greater energy efficient. They produce the identical quantity of light as HPS lighting fixtures but consume considerably less energy.
- Do no longer produce as a whole lot warmness as HPS lighting fixtures, avoiding the need for additional ventilation or airflow systems.
- Smaller than HPS lights, maximizing grow area.
- LED feature an outstanding shelf life.
Disadvantages of LED Grow Lights for Plants
- LED grow lights for plants require higher pre investment. However, due to their wide shelf life, they can reduce costs in the long run.
- LED grow lights for plants may not generate enough heat as HPS lights to cope with colder climates.
- The lack of standardization of LED lights makes the comparison options more challenging. However, we have compiled the best quality and best price list of LED grow lights for plants for you.
Which Option is Better?
Should you use HPS or LED? Both options have advantages. Each has advantages and disadvantages. However, unless you grow in freezing temperatures, it’s best to use LED lights. There are just more advantages.
LED grow lights for plants can save energy for a long time without additional equipment. Although it is true that the upfront cost of LED lights will be higher than that of HPS lights, you may be shocked by the affordable choice of high quality. The market has expanded enough and you will find a variety of options. With long-term savings, investment in high-quality LED lighting system is the only way. Whether you need LED lights for large-scale planting or small-scale operation, we can meet your needs!
With the continuous development of LED lighting technology, the long-term savings of bringing led into the growth process can not be ignored. In fact, according to some reports, the combination of LED and HPS lighting can not only increase production, but also reduce energy consumption by up to 80%.
Although with the rapid development of hemp greenhouse technology, the debate between LED and HPS lighting will continue to intensify. At bbier lighting, our scientific and data-based marijuana cultivation approach has established a consistent, effective and pure marijuana remediation model. To learn more about our story, please contact our executive team immediately.